Welcome friends…it has been way too long since my last post. Unfortunately, there has been some technology issues that have been outside my control and then I have just flat ran out of time this summer with all the things going on in my life currently. As an empty nester you would think I would have more time but this is simply not the case. My new motto this year has been “It’s ok, let’s breathe deeply and exhale…today is a new day so let me begin again!” We have some exciting things in the works and we are fast approaching our second anniversary next month in launching this website and posting my first blog post. I must say I am very happy I did it, I continue to learn, grow but most importantly it has given me an opportunity to reveal my internal thoughts, prayers and ideas onto a visual format of reading and sharing with you. It has been true therapy and I hope I have opened your eyes to review your own life and perhaps reveal some things or add a different perspective. This journey you might say was the next step in REINVENTION to my second “Halftime” of life! Most importantly I hope you have enjoyed “Takin Time Out”. I feel this is soooo very important no matter what age or stage you are in life.
This week’s topic is REINVENTION. When we REINVENT ourselves, we take charge of change, especially if we have hit a road block or at a dead end. Please note I said, “Take charge of change”! Change is truly a given fact of life it can work to our favor or it can work against us. It’s our choice…Face our fears and go for it. I recently read an article that went a little deeper than my mind works but it truly made sense once I got to the bottom line. (Please note you may have to slowly read or reread this next paragraph twice to grasp the full meaning it is deep but very impactful)!
Basically, the scientific principle of entropy state; the nature of matter physical substance in general, as distinct from mind and spirit; in physics that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy (in simple terms YOU and ME) is about to fall apart, wither, and decay. Still, every atom that makes up the known world has been here a long as the world has. When an atom that was part of something or someone is old becomes part of something or someone new, it acts like a brand new atom. Basically in a simple term it is REINVENTED so if you are presently in a state of withering, you feel as if you are falling apart then it is up to you to connect with a more positive force and make the change. Simply stated you need to REINVENT and become new.
As I look back on my life, I quickly realized there were certain times this is exactly what happened and in most cases I didn’t even realize it. For example getting involved with your local church, you can simply sit on the sidelines and enjoy the benefits of those who have volunteered their time to teach or lead the Sunday School or Small & Group class, enjoyed the hospitality of one who opened their home to gatherings, or taken care of your children in the nursery, preschool or youth programs OR you can connect to those who are leaders and agree to give a portion of YOUR time to help others. Finding your spiritual gift and sharing with others. Scripture states in 1 Peter 4:10 “As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace.” And one that really struck a chord is found in Proverbs 11:24, “One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give and only suffers want.”
We each have various seasons in our life, whether you were blessed to be a parent and more importantly a grandparent, you have a successful career and retire, become a caretaker of a loved one, find a new hobby, volunteer your time through an organization or community, learn a new trade or language. We each pass through these circumstances learning, growing and expanding our role. Yes we make mistakes along the way and sometimes we might have regrets but moving forward we can basically REINVENT and turn it around to make a more positive difference! I know personally I have realized through this journey time is up for certain seasons, I move on embracing my next role and never looking back in my rearview mirror only the wide open windshield in front of me! I can’t undo I can only begin again and move forward…one step or mile at a time.
As I am sipping on my delicious cup of steaming herbal hot tea in my favorite new white china tea cup given to me by my cousins, I am glaring at the computer screen in the wee hours of the morning, pondering my next “Takin Time Out”. How am I going to REINVENT my next role? Listed below are a few exercises to consider trying which one resonates with you?
- Spend a week watching NO TV except shows you have never seen before. (This might be very challenging for those who have a routine of reruns like my husband who loves Law and Order, Two and Half Men, John Wayne and many more I won’t bore you with.)
- Try something new with music like Choral, Country, Classical, Opera, Blues or Jazz. My second cousin loves Salsa Dancing, who is up for some lessons or maybe even ballroom dancing? What about learning to sing or play an instrument?
- Hobbies – Is there something you would like to try? Ceramics, basket weaving, making jewelry, photography, tennis, gardening, golf, diving, flying, stain glass, hiking, sailing, painting…the list can go on and on!
- Visit or volunteer at a shelter or nursing home.
- Diverge dramatically from your own views and truly listen without arguing, stating your case or disagreeing with someone. Learn to accept them for who they are.
- Try on different clothes especially ones you think you would never wear, try different colors, textures, styles. Maybe even venture into a costume store and pick an era that appeals to you and see how you feel wearing the Cinderella ballroom dress or Knight in shining armor, maybe it is a Hippie, a business suit, or high heels and pearls. Alternatively, experiment with hats, wigs, jewelry, makeup get off your beaten path…find your innocence of childhood again and have some fun!
- Read a different kind of book. If you like non-fiction try fiction or vice versa. What about poetry, self-help, or travel?
- Exercise what about trying a spin class, yoga, Pilates, or cross fit.
- Try a new recipe every day for one whole week. Try different ethnic flavors.
- Reach out to someone in your past that has made an impact positive or negative, whether it is through a text, letter, card or phone call. How did it make you feel?
There are several more ideas but this is a good start. If something pops into your mind I would love to hear from you and share with this group. Please just leave a note in the comments section below!
As we wrap up, I love the quote from C.S. Lewis, “You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream.” How are you going to REINVENT your next role? Even if you are in the midst of a major challenge, grieving the loss of a loved one, in the midst of chaos raising small children, sending your baby off to college or blessing their hand of marriage. Create a vision for your future, I encourage you to write it down, paste pictures on a piece of construction paper or in a book, surround yourself with positive influencers and this may mean venturing outside your inner circle. Break it down into bite size pieces. Then you breathe deeply and exhale slowly, take that first step and never look back, I promise you will be glad you did. Until next time my friend…let’s go now and REINVENT something positive, make a difference in this world, try some new and outside your comfort zone…most of all ENJOY the gift of REINVENTION.